From Sinner to Saint

I think this book is in Lithuanian? I found it at a garage sale for five cents. (I know, right? A whole nickel!) The people had a lot of religious books, but this was the only one I saw in the pile that was both suitable for a craft and in Lithuanian. From what I could translate, it’s about saints. For a good view of the title, wait until the last picture.

This was also the smallest book I have worked with so far. It’s shorter than the Russian sketchbook and has a spine roughly the same width. I ended up getting four signatures in, each based around a theme (angels, objects, statues/people, and shrines).

Right from the start, this book caused me problems. I cut through the spine without realizing it. So I glued in some kraft-tex paper and stitched a tag and a bead on. But the bead fell off because I cut the string too close to the knot, which came undone. Later on, I tied another piece of string to the short string and knotted it a hundred and one times and just as many ways. I left an extremely long string so the book owner can wrap it around to keep the book closed. The bead is used to tie the rope around at the end.

From Sinner to Saint (5)

Once I got all the patterns picked out and the papers measured, I started adding in cutouts from the book as well as envelopes, papers, tags, and more. I got some vellum paper from a woman at work, and it fit perfectly with this project! I’ll have to buy some more.

As you can see from the first and last picture, I wrote the unofficial-may-become-official title on the inside flaps using a stencil and a Sharpie. I tried to use a thicker, shiny Sharpie, but it bled through and messed up the F. True to the book’s name, though, I turned yet another mistake into something meaningful. I added the “halo” at the end and made sure to color the gold neatly.

One other big error I had was in the following picture. I had a scrap of patterned paper left over, and I wanted to fold it around the outside of a white page. After I used my DotLiner to coat the inside of the patterned paper, I tried to line it up with the white paper. And failed. It took me ages to figure out how to add more papers at jaunty angles to make it look purposeful. See? More artful sinner-to-saint fixes!

Oh! I also found a use for the wax seal I bought. It has a cross, which I used for the book project I made for my dad. What better place to use it next than in a book about saints?

From Sinner to Saint (8)

And now, the final cover shot. All in all, it took about ten hours to put this book together, not counting the time needed for the spine to dry–which, yes, was another error! Somehow it slid down. All my precise measurements were for nothing. I had to trim the bottom of the flaps and look on the bright side by saying the top now has visual layers.

From Sinner to Saint (12)

This book is another one I’m planning to sell if it ever comes to that. I did check out a book on how to sell items online (particularly on Etsy), and I’ve read through a good portion of it, so we’ll see!

Advertisements

One thought on “From Sinner to Saint

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s